DNS Issues - Doing domains on DHCP external IP's

Hanasaki JiJi hanasaki at hanaden.com
Tue Jun 4 22:00:15 CDT 2002

Don't bet they won't change it on you.

1. Get a www.dyndns.org account for dynamic IP's
2. Get a domain and DNS services
	I use http://www.directnic.com/  <= $15 / yr
3. Make entries at dyndns.org
	[yourdomain]-host1.[pick one of their domains]
	[yourdomain]-host2.[pick one of their domains]
4. Make CName alias' in directdnic dns <== $5 / yr
	host1.[yourdomain]
		alias to
	[yourdomain]-host1.[pick one of their domains]
5. Install a dyndns update client [see their list of clients]

ex:
	www.hanaden.com on directnic directdns' service is
	alias'ed to hanaden-www.dyndns.org
	host www.hanaden.com
	www.hanaden.com     	CNAME	hanaden-www.dyndns.org
	hanaden-www.dyndns.org	A	65.26.127.29 <== RR IP

Works like a charm for almost two years now.  FYI: RR once told me that
they wanted me to manually release my IP becuse their DHCP server
couldn't release it.  I used to get new IP's more often when I ran Win.