linux

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Tue Jun 4 05:24:51 CDT 2002

Oh, that's easy!  Download and burn to CD (or even purchase!!!) any
flavor of Linux or unix you prefer.  I like RedHat for it's commercial
support - I personally believe that they have the right blend of
chutzpah and raw bull$h*t to appeal to a few of the more progressive
C-level exec's in this country!  (They have a great deal of technical
ability too - but they keep it fairly well hidden!!!)  I hear that SUSE
can be a pretty neat challenge sometimes and Gentoo is a good way to
shrink a techie's swollen ego in a hurry!

Once you get your install media, FDISK your hard drive and install the
new OS.  GO COLD TURKEY with the new OS and NEVER LOOK BACK!  Figure out
a way to do EVERYTHING you used to do on a computer using the new OS.

Find (or write!) software to do everything you were able to do under
Microsoft's 'doze software.  Don't give in to the temptation to leave
'doze on another partition on your hard drive or to use it on another
computer.  I did this three years ago and it has been a hell of a ride -
  but one I would not trade for the world!

Once you have done this, install the same software on your mother's
computer!  You are not truly a computer genius until you have provided a
year's worth of FLAWLESS tech support to your mother!