mandrake

Gene Dascher gedascher at multiservice.com
Wed Jan 30 14:22:05 CST 2002

Mandrake 8.2 is in beta, according to an article on slashdot.  Apparently,
you'll be able to install it as small as 65MB!  I like Mandrake, except for
one problem that I keep having.  I have installed 8.0 and 8.1 on a Dell
Inspiron laptop aith very few modifications.  The problem I seem to have is
that somehow, in the normal usage of the laptop (I have a dual-boot config
with Win98), it looses its ability to mount the /boot partition!  The laptop
boots just fine in Linux, but when it is mounting the different partitions,
it says it can't mount /dev/hda2 as /boot because the filesystem does not
exist.  I first used ReiserFS, and then switched to EXT3, but it still
happens.  I don't know if it is because I have SuspendToDisk enabled or
what, but I'm confused.  I think I will try the Gentoo or LinuxFromScratch
this time to try and streamline the system more.

Gene