Java CLASSPATH environment

Marvin Bellamy Marvin.Bellamy at innovision.com
Mon Jan 28 21:11:52 CST 2002

I have two questions about setting up my Java environment on
Mandrake8.1.   BTW, I knew where to do this Slackware and Redhat.
 Firstly, where do you initialize variables at boot?  I need to set a
base CLASSPATH.  Second, I want to be able to run a script set a
variable on the shell.  I know you can export a variable to a child
process, but I don't know how to pass it back to the script's parent
process.  Clarifying, I have several project directories, and I have a
script to append that project's directory to the CLASSPATH.  Something like:

foreach args ("$*")
        set CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:$args
end

But, when the script is complete, the new CLASSPATH is "lost".  Anyone
know how to resolve this?  I'd prefer to write the script in csh, but sh
will do.