New distro

Rich Edelman edelman at speedscript.com
Mon Jan 28 18:16:34 CST 2002

Has anyone tried Gentoo? I was thinking of trying that out, but instead spent
the day yesterday making a LFS (Linux From Scratch) system. Just followed the
directions at linuxfromscratch.com, and away I went. Ultra-modern system, I
decided since I wasn't doing any RPM crap I could afford to go bleeding edge.
KDE 3.0, kernel 2.4.18-pre3-mjc (has all the performance enhancing patches,
including robert love's preemptive patch and ingo's new scheduler), and glibc
2.2.5, heh. Even have everything optimized for my Athlon, so far with no
problems.  So you may want to try that route, or maybe Gentoo. Both allow you
to have a completely custom and optimized system.  I like my LFS system,
aside from no graphical installer, heh. But hey, you only install once. ;)

Anyway, I'd be interested in helping to create a new distribution, so you can
count me in.

Rich