From Slashdot: Comcast goes after NAT users

Monty J. Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Sat Jan 26 02:29:04 CST 2002

"Bradley Miller" <bradmiller at dslonramp.com> wrote:

> But wait -- what happens when they get greedy?   That's where having
choice
> will be paramount.  Would the cable company care about all this if someone
> wanted to step in and say "ok, you have the line, we'll lease the pipe
> going into the house and they'll pay me for bandwidth".  Suddenly the
cable
> company is back to doing what they do best -- putting cable to homes.  Let
> other service providers fight over what they offer for $/gig fees.

  Then let's give them choice.  We need to get behind a Cringely-style
guerilla networking scheme.  Get "dry pairs" to Sunflower Community Network
out to apartment complexes, where a Linksys or LRP gives everyone broadband
access for less than they pay for dialup now.  If the pricing were set up
right, it would generate a surplus that would allow SCN to reduce what they
charge for their dialup accounts, while still being dirt cheap.