From Slashdot: Comcast goes after NAT users

ndr phidias at netgate.net
Fri Jan 25 17:12:32 CST 2002

Call me ignorant, but I do not see how they would see the MAC addresses of
the machines behind the NAT. Wouldn't they only see the MAC of the outside
interface? NAT is supposed to hide all of that information. If the packets
were sent with the MAC of the internal NICs it would cause confusion on
the public facing interface and slow things down.

Carnivore is, I believe, an application level sniffer. Monitor SMTP, HTTP,
etc. streams. It wouldn't be hard to have one that looks at the MAC, but
to me it would seem utterly useless.

I would imagine that Comcasts intentions are too scare people into
honesty and get the extra bits of cash squeezed out of them. The only way
they could catch a NAT is by doing exhaustive traffic analysis at the
application level or coming to your house and searching your setup. Both
are too expensive and cumbersome for them to bother.