Updating Mandrake 8.1

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Sat Jan 19 06:09:35 CST 2002

Has anyone updated KDE, Gnome, or Evolution on a Mandrake 8.1 install?
All three have update releases - KDE goes from 2.2.1 to 2.2.2 and
supposedly has improved speed, Gnome is a little harder to tell what the
increment is, but Evolution goes from 0.something to 1.0.

Trouble is, it's like Mandrake is censoring the binary distributions.
The only binaries for Mandrake are for 8.0, not 8.1, and KDE doesn't
even have 8.0.

I know I could download source and compile, but as I'm not a developer,
that's an endless cycle of download, attempt to compile, locate missing
library rpm, install, attempt to compile, locate missing library rpm, ad
nauseum until I give up.

So if you've updated 8.1 with 8.0 binaries, or have other suggestions on
how to do this, I would appreciate your advice.

(I tried Ximian's install shell script and it didn't do anything, but
that was a while ago, I may try it again.)