Build system from scratch?

Lance Feagan lfeagan at ku.edu
Fri Jan 18 20:19:15 CST 2002

as per email mentioning hocomp.com [what a funny url anyways if you break it
down into ho and comp]

Okay, any place that sells only ECS and Azza motherboards worries me
severely, the only decent mobo, yes, singular, is the Epox 8KHA+.  I have
never seen such a horrible selection.  I have never told anyone to buy an
Azza, and when I have had friends decide to go off on their own and be cheap
asses and get one, they later either fried out their mobo or were just
unhappy with the lack luster performance.  There really is a difference
between a 120 dollar mobo and a 66 dollar Azza one.

An 8 dollar heatsink for an Athlon XP 1900, yeah, right, somehow I don't
think that is quite adequate.  I mean, it might get the job done, but
really, a good heatsink is a nice investment in system stability under high
load conditions or overclocked situations.  They only offer one
heatsink...that is shocking.

Please, don't build yourself the cheap-ass system.  I think you will regret
it.  If you have SCSI right now, you obviously have some class about you as
far as your computer goes.  You know what is good and are willing to spend
some extra money to get it.  Stick to the Jedi path, these people probably
aren't worth dealing with.  Something about them just seems odd or wrong to
my intuition.

--Lance