Newbie Question

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Jan 15 19:37:41 CST 2002

> oooook, that looks all Greek to me
Sorry! Ok let me try again.

> Hopefully your CD was detected during install and this has
> already been
> added for you. I haven't heard good things about all Phillips drives.
>
> Once you have that in hand. open up /etc/lilo.conf in an editor
Open a file manager
open the "root" directory (that is "/" not "/root").
You can get there from your home directory by clicking on the ".."
directory twice.
then change to the "etc" directory. right click on the "lilo.conf" file
and choose to open it in a text editor. It should be associated with at
least one.
Look for a line that reads something like the one below:
> add the line:
> append="hdb=ide-scsi" for each "image" group you see

If it's there you have nothing to worry about. If not then you need to
explore why.

> Ah! That I can help with.
>
> Find out what letter it is assigned in Linux.
All devices are found in the directory named "dev" (for the most part).
The harddrives are hd? for the most part.

> Something like "/dev/hdb". One way to find out is to open up
> a terminal
> and type cat dmesg | less
option 1)
  Oops typo (don't need cat for this). You run KDE? Gnome? Open up a
terminal
  (an icon on your "taskbar" that looks like a computer monitor)
  at the prompt type "dmesg | less"
  don't use the quotes.

  Attempted explanation of above cryptic line:
  cat is a text reader/writer (intentional oversimplification: don't
flame me)
  dmesg is a file that is recorded when the computer comes up.
  It lists all the detected hardware. Very useful in troubleshooting.
  the "|" is a pipe the   vertical bar above the "" on the keyboard.
  It feeds the output of the left side into the right side.
  "less" is a scrollable viewer.
  dmesg is also a program, to make it more confusing.

option 2)
  The location of the file is in the /var/log subdirectory.

  To find it from a file manager like konqueror you need to
  go to the root directory (that is "/", not "/root").
  Then to the var directory then the log directory.

  The "/" is like the dos "" directory separator.

> or cat /etc/fstab.
You run KDE? Gnome? Open up a file manager. (file manager, Konqueror, or
Nautilus)
open up the root directory, then the etc directory, click on fstab.
This is the File System TABle, it lists all of the "known" mountable
"disk" devices.
(This is an oversimplification, but so what)