X windows consortium to sue Microsoft for brand name confusion

David Nicol nicold at umkc.edu
Tue Jan 15 03:36:54 CST 2002

Aaron wrote:

> Sorry about the cross post, but we were talking about this awhile ago and I
> thought some of you would be interested.

> the Lindows project wrote:

> > Here's how you can help. We are composing a list of the many hundreds of
> > products named "Windows Something" or "Something Windows" or even
> > variations on the word windows, which are not from Microsoft. We know
> > there are many

"X windows" dates from, well, quite a while ago.  "X box" is a most
confusing term since it is what people have been calling a workstation
that functions as a "X terminal" for years.  www.x.org says the first
commercial release of X windows was in 1986.  Non-commercial releases
precede that date.  The first commercial-grade release of Microsoft
windows, was, of course, in 1995.