problem fixed (was Re: M$ alteration of MY hardware)

Eric Gilliland jegilliland at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 14 19:06:33 CST 2002

Well, i was embarrassed to say how I solved it because it was so easy.
AMong the things I did at the urging of the MandrakeExpert was to find out
where the modem was at (which turned out to be /dev/ttyS4) and then do

ln /dev/modem /dev/ttyS4

I then add this line to the very end of my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

setserial /dev/modem uart 16550A irq 10 port 0xecf8

But this (and many other things besides) did not fix it.  Part of the
problem was then when I did a setup from the kppp dialog box, /dev/ttyS4 was
not one of the options under the device tab.

Saturday morning, I found a box that opened the connection wizard.  There I
was able to set the modem as /dev/ttyS4 and lo and behold it worked after
that.  So it seems that we made an easy task difficult.  I don't care,
though; I have my computer dual booting the way I wanted and the only thing
left to fix is to get my wheel working on my Kensington wheel mouse.  Last
time I tried to fix this I totally screwed up the mouse, but now I think I
know how to resolve this by using mousedrake.  Of course, I would not be
surprised if you guys got a request for help regarding this soon!
I'm sorry if this explanation is inadequate.  If you want more info please
let me know and I will copy the whole long series of dialogs between
MandrakeExpert and myself here.

Thanks,

Eric Gilliland