M$ alteration of MY hardware

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov
Mon Jan 14 15:27:05 CST 2002

On Fri, Jan ,  at 07:59:43PM -0600, Eric Gilliland wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> After trying for a long time, and failing, to resolve my modem problem, the
> MandrakeExpert guy (who is, BTW, an actual Mandrake employee) tells me this:
>
> >dakota : 11/01 05:39 : Reply received     well we have tried everything
> >>that is usually needed to get this modem to work.
> >
> >i will give you some bad news though i heard that xp alters onboard
> >>peripreal settings on hardware.if this is true this is what is >happening
> >with you and that is a problem because the modem might not >ever work again
> >
> >in linux if what i heard is true.i am going to check >something real quick
> >though to see if the usr website has any info on >this modem and win xp

If windows xp has altered a setting, it was not done by some voodoo that
can only M$ knows.  You should be able to reset the setting to factory
defaults without a problem.  You just need to look into what is needed
for that to happen.  You may have to do something with modprobe or some
of the pci utilities to do this.  The thing is everytime XP comes up it
will either reset the settings to what it believes, which is good then
each system will have what it needs, or it will puke on the device, and
then you have more complicated things to deal with to make it work smoothly.
--
JD Runyan
		"You can't milk a point."