Linux PDAs/Pocket PCs

Adam Turk ATURK at waddell.com
Fri Jan 11 15:50:43 CST 2002

Yes, I have a Zaurus. I actually ordered one in mid-November. I love it.
I have already compiled a Quake distro for it. (Still trying to get it
on the damn thing) The QT toolkit is easy to use, though getting it to
compile and link correctly has been somewhat of a chore. I just ordered
a 256Mb CF drive for it, since I needed space for things like vi, emacs,
and top. The basic basics are there though, and the whole thing is quite
novel. Down to a true-to-form bash-2.05 console. The 'standard' PDA
utilities are there - planner, todo list, games. More standard RAM-space
would be nice, since it uses ramdisks as hardrives. Of the 32Mb, 11 goes
to drive space, 18 as available-to-programs RAM, which the OS takes most
of. All one needs is an linux-arm cross compiler and QT/Embedded and
you're off and running. I can see all sorts of utilities popping up for
this thing. At $400, it's the most expensive linux box I've bought in a
while, but definitely better than lugging around a beige-box. The
keyborad is everyone's favorite point.

Adam

>>>Chris Mitchell wrote:
I know that Sharp is releasing their Linux/Java Pocket PPC 1st quarter
this year (although there are some out there if you check eBay). Has
anyone tried or have any comments about
the Linux PDA/PPCs on the market? I know that Agenda has taken some flak
for their PDAs in a Linux pub I read. has anyone tried Yopy's or
Sharp's? I'm kinda jonesin' to get one
even though I think PDAs are on the way out and PPCs are the future. I
know you can load Linux on the iPaq but who wants to pay the stupid
license to MS when you're going to wipe
it anyway?