[nylug-talk] Tar Utillity (new)

Peter C. Norton spacey-nylug at lenin.nu
Thu Jan 10 23:07:07 CST 2002

Well, one thing to do is make sure you don't backup /proc.  You should
exclude it with a -X file.

Also, lots of things get updated around 3:00 am on a redhat system.  The
nightly updatedb run, and log rotation.  Also, logs get written to
constantly.

Practlcy though, depending on what you're backing up you can ignore most of
these errors.  The backup will not contain the entirety of files that have
changed, so you should be aware of what files are doing this.  You should do
log stderr to see if any important files are being shortened.

-Peter

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 02:03:24PM -0800, jose sanchez wrote:
> Hello:
>
> This is another problem I am having with the tar
> utillity:
>
> Remember my last post; older version of tar had a file
> size limitation of 2GB. Most of the people in the list
> suggested I upgraded to a newer ditro. I did. Upgraded
> to RH 7.2. There's no file size limitation but, I have
> a different problem: I am trying to back up a server
> every night at 11:00pm. Tar fails to completely
> compress / archive. I get hundred this message: File
> changed as we read it. It then fails to finish the
> archive. This is the last error message: Tar: Error
> exit delayed from previous errors.
>
> Why I'm getting so many errors, No one is accessing
> the server at that time.
>
> Any other sugestions will be apreciated.
>
> Thanks.

The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.
Or just re-use this one.