IP addressing

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Jan 9 19:23:02 CST 2002

I don't know about ala NT, but ala Linux is no problem (I seem to
remember something called setaddr, or something).
It's called virtual IP hosting.

Say your NIC is eth0.
You could assign the first IP address to eth0
the second IP address to eth0:0
the third to eth0:1, etc.

Here's a document to help if you have webmin.
http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Administration/Webmin/page4.html

Otherwise:
make sure you have the ip_alias module installed, or compiled into the
kernel,
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
ifconfig eth0 up
ifconfig eth0 my.domain.IP
ifconfig eth0:1 your.newdomain.IP
ifconfig eth0:2 other.altdomain.IP
route add -host my.gateway.IP dev eth0
route add -host your.newgateway.IP dev eth0:1
route add -host other.altgateway.IP dev eth0:2

Or you could use linuxconf. But you'll still probably have to do some
tweaking there.

HTH,
Brian