Nautilus in a loop...

The Hoelschers mohoel at telocity.com
Wed Jan 9 12:21:18 CST 2002

I've got an iteresting problem, not sure when it developed, but can't
seem to get it fixed.

When I launch X using Gnome as my desktop environment, it comes up, then
switches from the Gnome desktop (tool bar at top) to a more 'standard'
desktop (with icons down the left border, but no tool bar).  Then it
just keeps going back and forth.

It used to be that every time it switched to the 'standard' desktop,
Nautilus would add a new link to hda1, my Windows partition.  At one
point, I let it go long enough to have 'Windows (1)' through 'Windows
(23)' before I CTL-ALT-Backspaced out.

I'm on a Mandrake 7.2 load with the Ximian Gnome on top.  I went through
last night and updated to all the latest Ximian junk, and that got rid
of the repeated addition of links to hda1, but Gnome still just keeps
switching between the two desktop views.

What I notice is that Nautilus keeps starting, using a lot of CPU for a
few seconds, then ends.  This 'rythm' is in-sync with the flash to the
'standard' desktop.  I.e.; Nautilus starts, desktop switches, Nautilus
ends, switch back to normal Gnome desktop, etc., etc., ad-nasuem.....

Any ideas what script in Nautilus to fix?

Thanks -
Chris H.