Firewall behind Router

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Jan 3 16:05:12 CST 2002

Well, I have to disagree a little here [even if though it is against the
prime directives]. Of course it depends on how you define a DMZ. We have
a Router on our outside connection, it does some firewalling. Behind
that is a switch, behind that is a firewall. The firewall directs
traffic to the various web and mail servers and the LAN. Even the WAN
goes through the outside router (over a dedicated line). I have my own
web/mail server outside the firewall. Now you could call the
Router/switch combo the DMZ, or you could call our configuration a
double firewall. There is no ftp server, although we are looking at
this, and it would/will be outside the firewall (inside the firewalling
router). I would agree that the ftp server needs to be outside the
firewall.

[sidebar: Or better yet use a secure FTP protocol, perhaps wrapped in
SSL. This may make it a little less universally usable, but much more
secure. FTP is, in my opinion, the single worst protocol to implement.
SMTP being second. Of course I am excluding telnet and r* because they
are just so patently insecure and dangerous no one should even consider
using them, period.]

I feel that the mail server and web server are better behind the
firewall. I also feel they should be dedicated and all ports closed on
them except for the ports they need to do that one function. In fact
everything should be behind some kind of firewall, so one can stop
intruders before they can get anywhere. If that means having two
firewalls, so be it. For a commercial enterprise the added security is
well worth the investment. A single intrusion event will easily cost
more than that second firewall.