Firewall behind Router

jose sanchez j_r_sanchez at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 01:44:49 CST 2002

Hello All:

Happy New Year!

My first posting of the year: I am in the process of
building a Linux firewall at work. We currently have a
Netopia Router/Modem that acts as a
router/firewall/modem. I would like to offer some
services (WWW and FTP) and have more control of the
whole network. I am having difficulties implementing
it and coming up with a solution on how to get the
firewall up and running.

I want both Servers (WWW & FTP, and soon SMTP) to be
accessible by the outside world as well as from
inside. I can have our ISP forward any WWW request to
any internal IP. This is how I am currently running
the server. I really don't know how secure our LAN is.
My boss just wants a firewall installed and that's my
job to get this done. With your help, ideas, input,
etc... I would be able to have a better designed and
less vulnerable network.

I was thinking of using -ipchains- and forward any WWW
& FTP requests to it's respective server. Is this the
way to do it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jose