file server for home

Monty J. Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 1 04:12:34 CST 2002

"Brian Densmore" <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com> wrote:

> If you had read a little further I corrected myself (in a further post),

  Saw that right after I hit Send, in fact.

> Yes, I do know that RAID 4 and 5 require 3 harddisks.
> RAID 1 requires 2,
> and RAID 0 could be done with one. Why? I don't know, ask the Marquis de
> Sade. Some people are just into pain and suffering.

  OK.  Now explain how you do RAID 0 with one.  Granted, the term is
oxymoronic at best, and therefore difficult to define,  but the best
definition I've seen for it is "striping with no parity(redundancy)"  Maybe
it's not all that oxymoronic after all, since it is literally Zero
Redundancy, and therefore simply "Array of Inexpensive Disks".  If it is an
"Array" of One, then it's just An Inexpensive Disk.