Dial-up Time out

david nicol whatever at davidnicol.com
Tue Dec 31 11:12:51 CST 2002

I remember adding options to the ppp configuration to tell it what
kinds of packets to consider valid for resetting the timeout timer.

It sounds to me that the new line you're on is on a chatty router
or someone else who dials in to that router is sending out broadcasts
or something, and unwanted and unexpected packets -- possibly appletalk
probes, or routing messages, or any of dozens of other types of possible
noise -- are keeping the disconnect timer from working.

Very new pppd might even (I'm making things up here) have a way to
interact with iptables so you can use iptables to control what will
reset the timer.  That would be a pleasant surprise if it is true.

I do remember setting some configuration settings regarding what
will and will not reset the timer, I found out about the settings
by reading (drumroll please) man ppp .... from which I find now
that the relevant setting is "active filter" and it uses the
same filter desciption language as tcpdump.

--
David Nicol, independent consultant and contractor            312 587 2868
"Be yourself, and hang out with people that you can stand" -- D. Turner II