SSI help

James Colannino email2jamez at covad.net
Mon Dec 30 22:43:52 CST 2002

Mike, check out this site: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/ssi.html
This is apache's how-to for server side includes.

Here is an excerpt from the how-to.  This should get you started:

Configuring your server to permit SSI

To permit SSI on your server, you must have the following directive either
in your httpd.conf file, or in a .htaccess file:

Options +Includes

This tells Apache that you want to permit files to be parsed for SSI
directives. Note that most configurations contain multiple Options
directives that can override each other. You will probably need to apply the
Options to the specific directory where you want SSI enabled in order to
assure that it gets evaluated last.
Not just any file is parsed for SSI directives. You have to tell Apache
which files should be parsed. There are two ways to do this. You can tell
Apache to parse any file with a particular file extension, such as .shtml,
with the following directives:

AddType text/html .shtml
        AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

Hope this helps :)