Key Binding

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Sat Dec 28 23:20:35 CST 2002

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, Rich Edelman wrote:

> Easier than using all that nifty xmodmap stuff to map to function keys, just
> make sure you set your keyboard model and such in the "inputdevice" section
> of your XF86Config file, like so:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
> 	Driver      "keyboard"
> 	Option 	    "XkbModel" "microsoftpro"
> EndSection

This is what I ended up doing, althouch I had to create my own keyboard
definition since none of the existing ones matched my laptop.  If memory
serves, this is what I did:

  1) Added entries to /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/inet and
     /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86 to define my keyboard.  This is the
     default for Gentoo - under Red Hat xkb is in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb.
     Dunno about other systems.  The following was added to symbols/inet:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "hp_omnibook_xe3_gf" {

    // Describes the extra keys on an HP "Internet" keyboard.

    name[Group1]= "HP Omnibook XE3 GF";
    key <I6C>   {   [ XF86Mail      ]   };
    key <I32>   {   [ XF86WWW       ]   };
    key <I74>   {   [ XF86OpenURL       ]   };
    key <I73>   {   [ Help          ]   };
    key <I2E>   {   [ XF86AudioLowerVolume  ]   };
    key <I30>   {   [ XF86AudioRaiseVolume  ]   };
    key <I10>   {   [ XF86AudioPrev     ]   };
    key <I22>   {   [ XF86AudioPlay, XF86AudioPause     ]   };
    key <I24>   {   [ XF86AudioStop, XF86Eject      ]   };
    key <I19>   {   [ XF86AudioNext     ]   };
};
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    Only one line needed to be added to rules/xfree86:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  hp_omnibook_xe3_gf = xfree86 pc(pc104)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  2) In my XF86Config, "XkbModel" was set to "hp_omnibook_xe3_gf" similar to
     what Rich described.

  3) I modified my ~/.kde/share/config/khotkeysrc to run my modified aumix
     to turn the volume up and down, and to run "eject" when the eject key
     is pressed.  Google turned up a pretty good reference for configuring
     hot keys under different window managers.  All praise Google:

     http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue67/evans.html#Keybindings

My modified aumix can be found at http://www.zing.org/hacks/.  To display
the bar graph, use the "-A" flag, e.g.

     aumix -v +5 -A 1

My Gentoo system has both GTK+ 1.2 and 2.0 installed.  This confused
aumix's configure script, and I had to explicitly disable linking against
GTK+ 2.0.