Building mozilla? [Was: RE:IE accounts for 95% of browsers]

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Dec 23 23:00:06 CST 2002

Well you can always do it the hard/easy way [depends on yer
perspective],
and pull down gentoo. Then make your hack to the mozilla source before
emerging it.

HTH,
Brian

[*** Warning Long rant follows ****]
Personally: I have serious complaints about Mozilla. Still it is cool as
long as you are just using it and not trying to install a plug-in. Which
leads me to another rant. Why would Mandrake not install the Java
plug-in during install!? Had to download it, but the mozilla help tells
you nothing about how to install a plug-in so it will recognize it!
What's up with that? Turns out you need to find your mozilla directory
[/lib/...] then find your Java plug-in directory and make a symbolic
link to the plug-in! How stoopid is that? There is a whole site
dedicated to installing plug-ins in Mozilla. BTW I'm now using Mandrake,
because my gentoo bought the farm when I was doing a critical upgrade
when me cable company decided to give my IP to someone else and blocked
my access, in the middle of the night, WHILE my PC was in the middle of
the upgrade. Anyway something funky happened and I couldn't get the PC
to reconnect to finish the upgrade and of course no system backup and no
way to undo the damage done. So luckily I had recently burned a Mandrake
9 cd set. Whoo Hoo!
[ok I'll stop ranting now. Overall, I give Mandrake 9 two thumbs up.
Allows me to do my Russian and French and English quite easily. Never
quite mastered it in gentoo, but I was close. And Open Office is nice,
and loads fast too]