Virus filtering

Brad Crotchett brad at ispn.net
Fri Dec 20 19:33:53 CST 2002

Has anyone worked with a setup of amavisd-new, sophos, and sendmail
8.9.3?  It seems to be accepting mail, scanning it for viruses, but then
does not deliver it locally.  /var/spool/mqamavis grows and shrinks though.  I
am using cyrus-imap for local delivery (Mcyrus is defined as
/usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver and my Mlocal is mail.local before adding
amavisd-new).  Should I have both a sendmail.cf and sendmail.orig.cf?
What should the changes to my sendmail.cf be?  I have seen documentation
that the new Mlocal should be /usr/sbin/amavis and others that say it
should be /usr/sbin/scanmails.  For what it is worth, I had neither
after installation.  I created scanmails and that is my Mlocal now.  It
seems to working because my /var/log/maillog shows incoming mail, calls
up scanmail, scanmail comments that no viruses were found, then sendmail
says the message was sent.  It never goes through though.

Amavisd-new appears to start and continues showing up as a daemon, but
on startup gives the following two errors:

[28609]: lookup_acl: key="", no match
[28609]: lookup_acl: key="" matches ".", result=1

After that it runs with a master process and 2 virgin child processes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad