Palm Pilot, Serial Cradle and RedHat Linux 8.0

Moss, Jon jmoss at blackwellsanders.com
Fri Dec 20 17:33:57 CST 2002

Happy Holidays everyone!

Yesterday, I receive a second serial cradle for my Palm III handheld.  My
dream was to connect the cradle to my RedHat Linux 8.0 workstation and be
able to sync to Evolution while also still being able to sync to Outlook 98
at work on my WinNT 4 workstation.

While I was able to connect to the handheld via pilot-link and was able to
perform a partial backup via pilot-xfer, I am not having any success syncing
via kpilot and I can't find gnome-pilot anywhere, which is what Evolution
uses (I believe).

Then, when I returned to work, I could no longer sync with Outlook98.  I had
to rename my HotSync user and create a new one.

I was up until 1:00 am searching, researching and reading all I could find
out about using handhelds (Palms and Handsprings) with Linux.

Do any of you have any suggestions or advice?

It will be greatly appreciated!

Jon Moss