USB Camera

Jim Herrmann kclug at ItDepends.com
Thu Dec 12 06:26:46 CST 2002

I am wanting to make it really easy for my wife to use her USB digital camera.
I have read this howto:
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/USB-Digital-Camera-HOWTO/

But I can't seem to make the script easy to use:

echo "Please enter a directory name for the pictures."
read DIRPATH
mkdir ~/picture/$DIRPATH
su -c "/sbin/modprobe usb-storage; mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera;
/etc/rc.d/init.d/usb start;
mv /mnt/camera/dcim/100msdcf/*.jpg ~/picture/$DIRPATH;
umount /mnt/camera;
chown -R your_login_name ~/picture/$DIRPATH"

I don't really want to automatically move all the pictures.  I would like to
be able to give her an icon on the desktop that she can click, and the camera
is mounted, and up pops konqueror into the proper directory with the proper
privledges on the mounted camera directory.  Then she can move the pictures
she wants to the directory she wants to save in.  Then when she closes
konqueror, the camera is unmounted and all is as it was.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Jim