Networking question

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Wed Dec 11 19:31:38 CST 2002

Technical question:

Is there a way that I can query a specific block of IP addresses (of a
specific name server) for domain names, and then query that file for my
name/email address to pull the records that have the information?

I was thinking of something along the lines of whois and grep, but not
being a networking guru, I am looking for some advice on the best way to
do this.

Is there a way to query a specific name server to get a list of the
domains?  (The name server is NS1.CHITIE.NET)

Background:

I had a web site hosted with an ISP that turned out to be a really
scummy bunch of crooks.  They make false promises and then change names
when the heat gets too hot.  They are even too lazy to put proper
information into the domain registration data record.

Did you know that having invalid contact info can get your domain name
revoked???  I almost found out the hard way!

They advertise 24x7 tech support, but the live chat never works, the
admin support email bounces back as undeliverable and the company has
changed names several time to confuse the trail.  I finally got hold of
them and got control of my domain names  and put valid info in them and
moved them to a decent hosting company, but the problems just seem to
multiply.

Now they have jacked up their system so bad that every time they
register a new domain, MY name and email address appear as the contact
info.

Anybody want to get a free domain name???   Apparently I am the proud
owner of an unknown number of domains.  There is at least ONE that I did
not pay for!   (grin!!!)