TheOpenCD

Jason Clinton clintonj at umkc.edu
Wed Dec 11 18:48:05 CST 2002

henrik at theopencd.org wrote:
> The disc allows new users can try out Open Source software (OSS) in the  comfort
> of their own, familiar operating system, rather than having to take  the drastic
> step of reformatting their hard drive to install Linux or BSD. The  collection,
> which includes OpenOffice.org, AbiWord and Beonex is primarily  intended for
> non-technical computer users. However, we expect that the disc  will appeal
> first to experienced OSS users, who will hopefully find it a  useful vehicle by
> which to introduce OSS to their less computer-savvy friends.

We put together a CD for the last ITEC show that we had a booth and it was a
huge success. But, we made vastly different decisions about what software to
distribute.

I disagree with some of your decisions for this CD:

1. Beta quality software in the open-source world is often 10 times better than
final software in Windows. I think that there are many packages that are 'almost
there' that you chose to not include bassed on your assesment of a secretary's
perception. I would like to point out that no secretary I know has a clue what
the word 'beta' means.

2. Mozilla is the cornerstone of our OSS on Windows movement right now and the
Mozilla developer that requested that it not be distributed with this CD was WAY
off base when he justified the request with the fact that Mozilla.org didn't
support it. Well DUH! Free/open software is _always_ community supported and I
think that should be stress in the philiosophy docs on your CD. Then, you should
put Mozilla and Pheonix back in. Hell, tell the users that if they need help,
they should visit your web site.

If you don't agree with this, have you considered making more conservative and
more bleeding edge versions of your CD's? A fork, persay?

--
I don't believe in witty sigs.