Windows on Linux

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Tue Dec 10 19:44:24 CST 2002

This story requires advanced reading skills.

The first paragraph (in bold) reads '. . . . market researcher META
Group predicted on Monday.

This means it is a guess, a dream or a fantasy.  It is EDITORIAL COMMENT
not reported facts, even thought the Seattle Washington date line and
breathless 'breaking news' (breaking wind???) tone SOUNDS like a M$
press release!

(I think M$ may be behind this to freeze companies with a 'wait and see'
attitude and keep them from changing software for another year to 18
months.  They did the same against OS/2 when it was apparent that it was
starting to take off.  I see this as good news for Linux! we have arrived!)

The second paragraph says:

"Microsoft, which denied that it had any plans to develop software for
Linux,. . . . "

Protects them from litigation over the hype it is reporting and them
sets the hook that M$ wants you to assimilate into your subconscious.

" META Group predicted that Linux will be used . . .  up from its
current share of 15 to 20 percent,. . . "

This is Bullshit.  Linux has had a higher share of the web server market
for several years now.  It is struggling a bit in the print server
market because of spotty vendor support for printer drivers, but that
has been changing for the better.

Another telling phrase in the 15th paragraph:

" A recent Microsoft-sponsored study by researcher IDC concluded that
servers based on Microsoft's Windows 2000 were cheaper to own and
operate when . . . "

Microsoft PAID someone (In this case IDC) to PROVE they were cheaper and
low and behold - IDC came through for them!  (well duh!!!!)

Note:  A reputable reporter will cite factual articles and will list the
sources so you can verify his assumptions.  I did not SEE that here so I
assume the Editorialist did was not comfortable enough with the sources
to actually list them - but them, he was probably just reprinting a M$
press release and they may not have felt comfortable with manufacturing
  all the required sources!    (grin!)

But it was a nice read.  Thanks for posting it!