Some linux terminal questions...

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Sat Dec 7 22:34:15 CST 2002

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Jason Clinton wrote:

> 1. How do I spawn a process (like a compile) and shut down the terminal
> (like SSH) and pick it up again later (at home) so I can continue
> monitoring the process?

I like screen.

screen
screen -r (resume)
screen -x (multiple displays to the same terminal)

simply kill the window and resume the session later...

> 2. How can I lock a console while I'm away without logging out and
> killing everything running under that virtual terminal?

under screen, type ctrl-a ctrl-x to lock the terminal.  password required
to get back in.

> 3. Anyone have any cute,general tips or tricks for bash?

google search for "stupid bash tricks" and the like are my favorites for
passing idle time:

http://www.joot.com/dave/writings/articles/unix-tricks.html

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net