making a exact copy of a HD

James Nelson webmaster at kcnet.com
Fri Dec 6 14:37:58 CST 2002

dd is one of the most versatile tools in linux.

It can create drive images to files, it can create drive mirrors, it can
create partition images.  It can do just about anything you need it to do.

In my previous example 'dd if=sda of=sdb' dd will create an exact mirror,
all permissions, mbr and all.  Then simply switch drives and jumpers and you
are flying.

Optionally you can use 'dd if=/ of=drive.img'  and create a file to store
rather than dual harddrives.  Personally I like doing something like the
following: 'tar -cvz `dd if=/ of=drive.img`'