making a exact copy of a HD

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Thu Dec 5 23:34:31 CST 2002

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> If you buy proprietary software, that's a risk you run.  That's what I
> really HATE about commercial software.
>
> It may be keying of the MAC or something other than the HD anyway - have you
> tried swapping drives in the same system?

If this is Windows XP, and it's bitching about being on a new hard drive
after cloning, then it has malfunctioned.  I too hate their new activation
junk, but then again I use open licenses so I don't have to live with it.

As I understand it, the key is based on the CPU, Hard Drive Geometry, MAC
addy on the NIC, and perhaps one other Plug and Play query.  Microsoft
claims that the replacement of one of these devices (the hard drive in
this case) won't kill your activation.  Replacing several such devices
would make windows assume it just woke up in another computer - so it will
stop functioning.

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com | "The water was not fit to drink. To     |
| Moon-Lite Computing         |  make it palatable, we had to add       |
| 913.579.7117                |  whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned |
                              |		-- Winston Churchill            |