making a exact copy of a HD

Dale dale_n_ks at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 5 18:27:54 CST 2002

Okay. what I am after is an EXACT copy of a HD.
ghost makes a copy but it isn't exact apperantly cause
it didnt' copy over some of the information on the
original drive.. such as a software ID for the system.

anyway, what I wanted to do is get a perfect dup of
the HD which only has 1 partition. to another hd
I use a HD with no partitions defined. for the
destination.

ghost as I said will copy the drive to the point that
I can run it.. but it dont' duplicate the software ID.
And since ghost is a PCDOS program I know that there
has to be something really simular in the lin
community.  I usually use dd to dump a image to a
disk. But that didnt' give me the results I wanted
either.