AIX tape question

David Holland david at gotoacs.com
Wed Dec 4 19:31:15 CST 2002

I've been working with AIX servers for about a year now and have some
questions about the tar command.  I had to replace a tape drive in a
server and had to do a test on the drive to make sure it would backup
and restore.  I transferred a 600Mb file via ftp to the server, backed
it up to tape, deleted the file from the drive then restored from tape.
I normally don't have time to do the transfer of the file, backup,
etc... Is there a way to compare or verify the data transferred using
the tar command, or using another command with tar that will compare the
contents of the tape?

Thanks in advance

David