KC's Newest Linux user!

Jim Herrmann JimH at ItDepends.com
Mon Dec 2 18:15:53 CST 2002

Because Mandrake 9 is what I use.  I'm comfortable with it, and it has a
fairly user friendly interface.  The only complaint my wife has so far is that
it seems slow to her.  I'm thinking about trying out a different GUI, like
IceWM.  Her machine is a K6/2 450 with plenty of RAM, so maybe there are some
unneeded bells and whistles in KDE that are slowing her down CPUwise.  Not
sure.  I need to research her performance issues further before I go changing
anything.  I also still need to get wine installed for her to run this one
windows program that she needs once every six weeks.  Overall, I think it's
going well.

I also think Mandrake has been focused on the desktop since it's inception,
and is just farther along in that area.  Red Hat will, no doubt, catch up very
soon.

Thanks for asking,
Jim