Mailing the output of an HTML form

Jason Clinton clintonj at umkc.edu
Sat Aug 31 22:41:48 CDT 2002

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>I always thought that if you wanted the output of a form sent as an email,
>you used ACTION="mailto:user at host.org", just like a mailto url.  However, I
>see a number of references to using a perl or CGI script to do this.  Why?

It's not part of the user agent specification so you never know what
you're going to get if you relly on the browser.

On the other hand, the POST ACTION is standardized so if you pass it to
a perl, php, or python script your sure to get the same format from all
browsers.  Also, consider implementing a MYSQL database to gather your
merges and such using the MYSQL ODBC driver. (If so posessed.)