Thoughts about running as root

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Fri Aug 30 20:55:02 CDT 2002

I guess it's more the backwards approach - I'm usually in textmode as root,
and I have a Windows box for userland tasks.  I even find that in the system
I'm doing the most work on now, I'm logged in as root but I su to various
users for specific tasks - update their web page, read and write mail.

There are safety habits too.  Don't use "wq" in vi.  Use w, use q.

I had a nice GUI Linux setup with a terminal window that automatically
launched as root, but I found I was spending more time there than in the
GUI.