cron question

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Thu Aug 29 16:01:53 CDT 2002

I'm using dcron.  I suspect redhat uses something similar.

Check /etc/crontab, the first at periodic intervals would trigger the cron
script file in /usr/sbin.  In the script for dcron, it does a checks for
which /etc/cron.[daily|hourly|monthly|weekly] directory to run.  Note the
ctime argument in the /usr/sbin/run-crons script.  You might want to
change the 8 to another number representing the hour of the day.

Your /etc/crontab should look something like:

       # MIN HOUR DAY MONTH DAYOFWEEK   COMMAND
       */15 * * * /usr/sbin/run-crons <--this goes through the others
       0 0 * * * rm -f /var/cron/lastrun/cron.daily <--cleans up

Crontab is modeled after those old light timers with moveable tabs that
slide out to trigger the toggle switch.  Crond should detect changes in
your file automatically.