kcwireless and roadrunner

DCT Jared Smith jared at dctkc.com
Mon Aug 12 15:06:03 CDT 2002

>>They're discussing alternate solutions right now. If any one has
>>a T1, or a portion thereof, now would be a good time to make it
>>available.
>
>T1s still cost a lot of money, around $200-$500/month for local loop plus
>another $200-$500/month for Internet.  Not to mention the potential
>security risks of placing wireless on or adjacent to your network.  What
>incentive would someone have to do this?

Money. If someone has a T1 they're only using half of (it happens), selling
the other half, even if only at cost, would be fruitful. Or if two people are
using 3/4 of their T1s, then two quarters make a half. Just an idea, maybe
the solution is to work with someplace like sunflower.org.

The security issues could be handled by savvy firewall setup. They are
real, particularly because of the inherently insecure 802.11b standard,
but they could be handled. There is a whole system evolving in the ad-hoc
wireless communities to handle these sorts of issues. Not my intention
or ability to discuss such things which are in kcwireless.org domain; only to
make KCLuggers aware of the not-entirely-off-topic issue.

http://www.kcwireless.org/index.cgi?LegalRamifications

<snip>
Accessing Networks
If you're using your wireless card to access a network that you're not sure is okay, there are
legal issues there (which is why we suggest node admins use the ESSID to "kcwireless.net", so
everyone knows it's okay to use your node).

Liability for Others' Use
In terms of liability for what a wireless user might access, KCWireless and its node administrators
have no control over that, so we're just like any ISP, and are a "common carrier" without liability
for our users' actions.
</snip>

-jds