PPPoE to sbc dsl

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Sat Aug 10 03:12:07 CDT 2002

> Anyone ever set up PPPoE to connect a linux box to sbc's dsl service?
Anyone
> know of a good HOWTO on the subject?
>
> And then of course, the corresponding Win boxen connections to said
linux
> box for net access.
>
> I've done the SOHO thang with cable and dsl using dhcp, and linux
routers,
> subsequent nat/masq, etc.  Will PPPoE work the same way once it's
connected?

Once it's connected, yes.

> Would it be easier to do the black box firewall/nat/masq thing from
Best Buy
> (or reasonable facsimile there-of?)  I'd really like to set these
folks up
> on a linux router.

Easier? Probably.
As flexible? Probably not.
Cheaper? Depends on what you've got lying around for old hardware.

> Off to google I reckon.

Make sure to stop by http://leaf.sourceforge.net/

You can grab my latest (although getting a bit dated) Dachstein release,
which can boot off a single floppy or CD-ROM.  I don't have step-by-step
instrcutions for configuring PPPoE, but it is tested, and does work (I'm
supporting a PPPoE connection for a corporate office in France...haven't
tried connecting to SWB via PPPoE yet personally).  Since it's linux,
you can run FreeS/WAN (IPSec for VPN connections), snmp for stuff like
MRTG, ssh, and pretty much anything else you want.

You might also want to check out the Bering release, which is based in
great part on Dachstein, but updated with a 2.4 kernel and the Shorewall
firewall scripts.  Check out the Shorewall scritps regardless, if you're
planning to setup an iptables based firewall...they're quite flexible
and well designed.

Oh...and the leaf-user and leaf-devel mailing list are some of the most
helpful you'll find anywhere.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net