DHCP Ports - Clarification

jose sanchez j_r_sanchez at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 9 23:27:24 CDT 2002

Hello:

Can someone please tell me what ports does dhcpcd
program uses to communicate with a dhcp server. And
what port does the dhcp server runs on.

I thought that a dhcp server runs on port 67 and the
client on port 68.

I am using dhcpcd on a RH 7.2 system. I revised the
/etc/services file for port 67 and 68 and this is
what's in there:
bootps          67/tcp           # BOOTP server
bootps          67/udp
bootpc          68/tcp           # BOOTP client
bootpc          68/udp

I also cat /etc/services | grep dhcp and this is what
I got:
dhcpv6-client   546/tcp
dhcpv6-client   546/udp
dhcpv6-server   547/tcp
dhcpv6-server   547/udp

Looks like that's for IP v6.

Is bootp and dhcpcd the same and would use the same
ports?

Please help.

Thanks in advance for your help.

=====
"An ounce of gold cannot buy an ounce of time."
- Anonymous

www.whmicro.com