Pick a Clutch, Any Clutch

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Mon Aug 5 21:29:32 CDT 2002

In that price range, you would be pretty much restricted to an OEM unit.
Those are pretty good for a daily driver anyway.

In higher performance units, I have heard some people have had good luck
with the ACT units.  Go with the 2100 for a car that only sees occasional
track use, or the 2600 if you are pushing more than about 450HP.  The 2600
is more of a race unit, but if you are pushing that much through it, you
will probably want the extra force to keep it from slipping.  Clutch
Masters makes comparable units that cost a little more across the board,
but they have been said to be more reliable.  (Personally, I think that
most of the problems with the ACT units are from people buying the wrong
unit for the application and then not breaking it in properly.)

In any case, I would recommend upgrading to a metal-sleeved throwout
bearing when you do the swap.  It's cheap insurance.  If it were me, I'd go
with a braided steel clutch line while I was  working under there too;
they're less than $20, and you get better pedal feel.

As another thought:  If you are ever planning on going with a lightened
flywheel, it's hella easier to replace it while you already have things
apart to do the clutch.  Clutch Masters has billet ones for under $400.

Hope this helps!

Kevin Finch
Network Administrator
DST Systems, Inc.
816/435-6039
krfinch at dstsystems.com

                    Andrew Bates

                    <andrewb at litecode.net>       To:     kclug at kclug.org

                    Sent by:                     cc:

                    owner-kclug at marauder.i       Subject:     Pick a Clutch, Any Clutch

                    lliana.net

                    08/05/2002 04:02 PM

What clutches have you guys used for your daily driver awd's?

Catagorizing it another way, what are the best bang for your buck
clutches? (say around 150-250)

- Andrew Bates