Answer to Brad's (OT) Housing Question

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Fri Aug 2 05:52:16 CDT 2002

Actually, $10,000 invested in a house in Johnson County is 1968 -
properly maintained - appraised for right around $100k in 1998.
(Of course interest was 3.5% and NO POINTS!)

But that is before all the "expert", required by law inspectors (read
that greedy bloodsucking leeches) get a shot at you.  It takes about 40
people to buy a house.  Bankers, real estate agents, brokers, mechanical
inspectors, surveyors, appraisers, county registars, title inspectors,
escrow agents, city & county inspectors, HUD/FHA/VA, geologists,
property insurance agents, lawyers and who knows what else. . . .

And people say that COMPUTERS are complicated!!!  Sheesh!

> "But it's still out of pocket and It's only $900 more than the standard
> deduction I have now.  And what about the $300,000 the house will actually
> cost me over the next 30 years?"
>
> "But the house will appreciate over 30 years."
>
> "So you're telling me that in 30 years... IF by some mirriclemy house value
> has TRIPPLED...  I MIGHT break even on this whole deal?"
>
> It's at this point the mortgage broker starts looking like a rat trapped in
> a cage...  So why did I buy a house?  One reason:  A woman.

Isn't that the reason most guys do anything at all?