Great idea . .Sattelite internet

Kurt Kessler kessler2k at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 1 22:41:18 CDT 2002

I work for a Sattelite ISP right now (well, for 2 more
weeks anyway...) and some of them will not work that
way. The fixed systems are pointed to the sattelite
and then the installer will phone in and the NOC will
lock in its location. If there is ever a deviation in
that, the customer will automatically be disabled.
Then they will have to get another installer to
repoint the dish ($$). The FCC mandates that the
installer is 'certified' by them to install these
things. Really, any competent person could do it, but
you know how the gov works. There are however, two
variations on these systems. They use servos to point
the dish exactly where its expected to broadcast to on
the sattelite. Motosat is one, i can't remember the
other one.
Another snag is the software and the "modems". Only
Windoze software, and the "modems" are usb. But,
DirecWay is currently beta testing a router. It's
called DW4020. Which will eliminate the software and
modems, allow for easier networking, and alternate
OS's.

It's not a "reliable" connection, there are just too
many issues right now since its still so new. And
upload speeds... Of all the customers whom I've had
run speed tests, or heard them tell me results from
such, I have never heard of a customer getting over
120kbs up. The norm seems to be 30-60kbs. Downloads
range anywhere from 350kbs to 1.5mbs, the norm being
about 500-700. Did I mention latency? LOL,
"theoretically" the absolute fastest you could
possibly get is like 700 some milliseconds. You are
sending a signal 22,000 miles up, then back down to
the NOC, then out to the net.

Oh yeah, Hughes Network Services, who basically ALL
sattelite connections go through have a thing they
call FAP (fair access policy) that basically limits
your downloads to 150 mb in a "session" (a session
determined to be approx 4 hours). When you exceed
that, they basically throttle you down to about 25kbs.
Yes, I said *25* kbs.

Take a look at the MotoSat.
http://www.motosat.com/internet_001.htm

It's nice, but god awful exspensive. But if you have
to move, and need a little more bandwidth than a
cellphone, It may be just right.