portals

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Thu Aug 1 19:33:22 CDT 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, DCT Jared Smith wrote:

> IIRC, postnuke is a fork from the original phpnuke. I like the default
> layout of phpnuke better, but both are about equal in terms of
> functionality. It's astounding how _different_ nukesites can look by
> simply using different themes and images...

Postnuke started out as a fork, with most of the internal code
completely re-written.  I think phpnuke is great too, but has been much
more prone to security issues.  (The primary reason the postnuke folks
did what they did.)

> When I configured a nuke site a year ago, I spent a fair amount of time creating
> little graphics and tweaking it. Once it was configured, it was very easy to
> manage. Found it to be robust and intuitive. And all the mods people
> have created for phpnuke and postnuke give a wide range of options
> to give to your users, including the calendar and the gallery you mention.

Hehe... I'm so lame, I went to /. and stole all the graphics they had.
:)

> Although, I do like the idear of KCLUG getting a co-lo we could all work
> with. But then we'd be paying dues, eh...

Not necessarily.  Later this year I intend to give SWBell the boot and
move into a much larger pipe at work.  Management has been extemely
progressive in allowing me to host my own boxen here, and I expect
unless abused to hell and back such a thing could be possible here.
(And lets face it - if I'm not paying for it I would feel like a jerk to
ask anything of anyone financially.)

Then again, I'm talking about KCLUG and/or KULUA stuff - not necessarily
hosting business sites.

Cheers,
Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://dustin.moon-lite.com |                                         |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | If there is Artificial Intelligence,    |
| 913.579.7117                | then there's bound to be some           |
*-----------------------------| artificial stupidity.                   |
                              |		-- Thomas Edison                |