Cool new toy

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Thu Aug 1 01:29:56 CDT 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, david nicol wrote:

> It is asked how do you back up a 200G hard drive?
>
> The serious answer is, you don't.  Tape backup is a
> relic of the days when it made sense.  It no longer makes
> sense.  The new paradigm, for the last several years and
> into the future, is RAID, or if not configuring your large
> drives into RAID arrays, getting multiple ones and backing them
> up onto each other.
>
> For instance, you can have two 200G drives and back each, except
> for the "backups" directory, onto the FS on the other one.  With
> compression and a full/incremental backup strategy, you wind up with
> usable capacity that depends on the compressability of your data :)

Be sure not to forget central points of failure in this methodology -
such as placing each drive an a separate controller, blah blah blah.

I think the sales droid lingo used for a lot of these things is SAN.
Dustin

--
*-----------------------------------*
| Dustin Decker                     |
| dustind at moon-lite.com       *-----------------------------------------*
| http://www.dustindecker.com | "I have never seen anything fill up a   |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | vacuum so fast and still suck."         |
| 913.579.7117                |		-- Rob Pike, on X.              |
                              | "Steve Jobs said two years ago that X   |
                              | is brain-damaged and it will be gone in |
                              | two years.  He was half right.          |
                              |		-- Dennis Ritchie               |
                              | "Dennis Ritchie is twice as bright as   |
                              | Steve Jobs, and only half wrong."       |
                              |		-- Jim Gettys                   |