Load Balancing under Linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Thu Apr 25 20:06:13 CDT 2002

---- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald Combs" <gerald at ethereal.com>

> > I asked a very high level ISP tech about this, and he said they use a
> > protocol similar to RIP and OSPF.

My bad for working without the original message.  Yes, BGP is what they use.
I was thinking of RIP as more of a generic category rather than a specific
protocol.

How much participation is required from the "other end" to do load balancing
and failover?  Those of use considering using something like RoadRunner and
SWB DSL as a backup probably wouldn't get any cooperation at all from Bell
or TWC, so it would have to be something we could implement without the
ISP's help.