Changing X Server

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Apr 24 13:28:32 CDT 2002

Isn't that just for X version 4.x?

> looks like
>
>      Section "Device"
>              # no known options
>              Identifier   "Matrox Millennium"
>              Driver       "mga"
>              VendorName   "Matrox Millennium"
>              BoardName     "Matrox Millennium"
>
>              #BusID
>      EndSection
>
> and change the "Driver" line from "svga" to "s3", or whatever your
> prefered driver is, it will do it.
There is also XF86Setup, don't know if RH uses it or not. If you have
XFree86 version 4.x you can also try running X's built in configuration
tool
XFree86 -configure

Also there might be an xf86cfg, another visual configuration tool.

If you aren't using version 4.2 (which you probably aren't), I'd
recommend pulling it down and using it. X is a lot smarter these days. I
know the drivers for S3 work in 4.2 and X 4.2 is pretty good figuring
out what hardware you have and adjusting for it.

HTH,
Brian