ADV:Harvest lots of Target Email address quickly

Joe Brouhard, MCP jbrouhard at centurytel.net
Mon Apr 22 18:09:18 CDT 2002

> Censorship is how totalitarian regimes remain in power.  This is why
> Microsoft ALWAYS includes a gag order in their shrink-wrap
> licenses and
> in all of their out-of-court settlements.

Shrink-wrap licenses?  Never heard of them, but then again, I don't have
ears out there :)

And yes, he is correct.. There are gag orders on a lot of Microsoft'
settlements.. I've heard of quite a few regarding MS - AOL Time Warner
problems.

> If you think back over the last few weeks, we have only seen
> an average
> of 2 or 3 spams per week - although each spam seems to generate 20
> replies to the list from members.  In effect, we are our own
> worst spammers!

That's what SPAM is designed to do if it hits a listserv... Which is why
I typically recommend that someone filter out said email addresses...
Granted, this sounds like a gag order, but SPAM in and of itself
constitutes to black hole lists world-wide.

> Perhaps our noble list moderator will appoint someone to be
> responsible
> for following up on Emails sent to the list that the membership
> considers to be spam and instruct them to remove the list
> address from
> their master-spam database.

I run Mailman cause it requires an authentication to subscribe to all
lists..  I can modify it to accept subscriptions without authentication,
but I really like the security feature.. No spams as of yet on the
listservs I'm on that run mailman... Tho I've heard all the downsides
from here :)

> I would be happy to volunteer for this duty - at least until
> such time
> as I find gainful employment!

I'd like a better job than WalMart... *grin*

Joe
jbrouhard at centurytel.net